El Sereno, Los Angeles
El Sereno is a Los Angeles neighborhood in the Eastside Los Angeles region of Los Angeles County, California. The Native American village of Otsungna was situated in today’s El Sereno on the banks of a stream that was later named Arroyo Rosa de Castilla. Mission San Gabriel Arcángel was founded in 1771, and an adobe was constructed there in 1776.
About El Sereno, Los Angeles in brief
El Sereno is a Los Angeles neighborhood in the Eastside Los Angeles region of Los Angeles County, California. The Native American village of Otsungna was situated in today’s El Sereno on the banks of a stream that was later named Arroyo Rosa de Castilla. In 1771, Mission San Gabriel Arcángel was founded, and an adobe was constructed there in 1776. In 1852, Jean-Baptiste Batz and his wife, Catalina Hegui Batz, acquired the adobe ranch house from Anaclet Lestrade, a priest of Our Lady of the Angels Church on the Los Angeles Plaza. In the late 1880s, Jacob Colvin Newton purchased a 160-acre L-shaped ranch stretching from the present Eastern and EI Sereno avenues on the west to Guardia Avenue on the east. Most of this ranch was later bought by Evan Johnston, a co-founder of the East Los Angeles Herald and one of the owners of the present-day L.A. Herald. The Smith family built a house about 1885 on the former Smith property, near present Eastern Avenue and Harmony Lane. A large acreage in the vicinity of Monterey Road and Collis Avenue was owned by Merey Evans, who later bought a large property near the present Monterey Park. The family raised pigs, chickens, and ducks, and a ranchhouse on the south side of what is now Eastern Avenue, near the junction of present- day Eastern Avenue. A family raised chickens, ducks and ducks on the ranch west of what are now Eastern and Paola Avenue, just south of what is now Huntington Drive at Van Horne Avenue.
The ranchhouse is now owned by the Hirigoyen family, which raised chickens and ducks,. and raised a large acre of chickens, which are now on the north side of Paola Drive, near what is currently Eastern Avenue,. The Smith estate was partitioned in 1885, and the Smith family sold the ranch to the Cornwall family, who built a home on the western boundary of the property. The Cornwall family later bought the northern portion of the Batz Ranch from Francisca Batz Echeveste, a daughter of Catalina Batz. After Catalina died on February 22, 1882, the southernmost 700 acres of the estate was then divided between six of her eight children. The El Sere no area was not included in either the pueblo or Rancho San Rafael, but was later part of the Mexican Rancho Rosa Castilla land grant. It included the later communities of Ramona Acres, Sierra Vista, Sierra Park, West Alhambra and Bairdstown west to Ei Sereno Avenue. It also included parts of South Pasadena, Alhamra and Monterey park. The area was first visited by Europeans in 1769, when the Spanish overland Portola Expedition passed just south south ofpresent-day El SereNo.