Georgetown is the capital of Guyana and the country’s largest urban centre. The city recorded a population of 118,363 in the 2012 census. It is situated on the Atlantic Ocean coast at the mouth of the Demerara River. The name Georgetown was given to the city by the Dutch in the 18th century.
About Georgetown, Guyana in brief
Georgetown is the capital of Guyana and the country’s largest urban centre. The city recorded a population of 118,363 in the 2012 census. It is situated on the Atlantic Ocean coast at the mouth of the Demerara River. Georgetown is also known for its British colonial architecture, including tall, painted-timber St. George’s Anglican Cathedral. The governing body of Georgetown was once a Board of Police. It came into existence as the result of disputes among various organisations which controlled the districts. The board met monthly but what was discussed is not on the records between 1825 and 1837. It was, therefore, decided that individuals elected to the board were bound to serve for two years, or suffer a penalty of 1,000 guilders. The names of Georgetown’s wards and streets reflect the influence of the Dutch, French and English who administered the town at different periods of history. The French called the capital Longchamps, the Dutch called it Stabroek, and the English called it Kingston. Georgetown gained official city status on 24 August 1842 during the reign of Queen Victoria. It was nicknamed the \”Garden City of the Caribbean. It is located in Region 4, also known as the Demersara-Mahaica region, which is also called Region 4 and Region 5. It has a population in excess of 100,000. It also serves as a financial services centre and is home to the Guyana Stock Exchange and the Guyanese Stock Exchange, among other institutions.
The capital city is located on the East Coast of the island of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, which was once part of the British colony of British Guiana. The name Georgetown was given to the city by the Dutch in the 18th century when it was under the administration of the West India Company. The town was renamed Georgetown on 29 April 1812 in honour of King George III. It covered the estates of Vlissengen, La Bourgade and Eve Leary to the North, and Werk-en-rust and La Repentir to the South. The part of Cummingsburg that ran through Cummingsburg was called High Street. Some of the streets of Kingston have names because the garrison used to be located there, e.g. Fort Barracy, Lacktown and Fort Lacy. It got its name from King George of Great Britain, George of the Great Britain. The main road that runs through the city is Camp Street, which led to the road to the military camp at the northern end of the city. It’s also called Camp Street because it was the road that led to Camp Town, where the British garrison was based. It became known as ‘Camp Street’ after the owner of the estate which is now called Camp St. and Camp St., which was named after Camp St, the main road through which the town is located. The area was once known as Cummingsburg, Cummingsburg and Cummingsburg.