Alert, in the Qikiqtaaluk Region, Nunavut, Canada, is the northernmost permanently inhabited place in the world. It hosts a military signals intelligence radio receiving facility, a co-located Environment Canada weather station, a Global Atmosphere Watch atmosphere monitoring observatory, and the Alert Airport. Alert is named after HMSAlert, a British ship that wintered about 10 km away in 1875–1876.
About Alert, Nunavut in brief
Alert, in the Qikiqtaaluk Region, Nunavut, Canada, is the northernmost permanently inhabited place in the world. It hosts a military signals intelligence radio receiving facility, a co-located Environment Canada weather station, a Global Atmosphere Watch atmosphere monitoring observatory, and the Alert Airport. As of the 2016 census, the population was reported as 0. Alert is named after HMSAlert, a British ship that wintered about 10 km away in 1875–1876. It has been the embarkation point for many North Pole expeditions that relied on weather information supplied by the weather station there. In April 1971, a party of federal and Northwest Territories government officials arrived in Alert in an attempt to reach the North Pole. In August 1986, the Government of Canada opened the Alert Air Pollution Monitoring Network. In early April 2006, the Roly McLenahan Torch was used to light the flame at Whitehorse, Yukon, for the Winter Games. The Whitehorse Torch was passed to the Yukon Winter Games in February 2012. The Torch was lit at the Whitehorse Winter Games at the end of the Games in April 2013, the first time a torch has been lit in the Arctic since the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in 1998. The torch was carried to the White Horse for the opening of the 2012 Winter Games by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Yukon First Minister David Attenborough. In the summer of 1996, only the hydrogen shed and a wooden shed were left, leaving only the wooden shed and wooden shed out of a wooden structure.
The shed and shed were burned in the summer of 1996. The last American personnel were withdrawn on October 31, 1970. The weather station was transferred to the newly created Department of the Environment, with the Department of Transport retaining control of airfield operations for several more years. Alert was the last of the five to be settled when the first twelve personnel arrived on April 9, 1950. The first priority was the creation of an ice runway on Alert Inlet before work began on the permanent all-season runway located on Cape Belknap. Until its completion, supplies were parachuted in. On July 30, 1950, nine crew members of a Royal Canadian Air Force Lancaster died in a crash while making an airdrop of supplies to the station. The station was seen as being a sort of no-man’s land land, but the military was unhappy about the film crew working on the station, but it remained open. In 1975, Prime Minister Pierre Slocum and his then 3-year-old son, Justin Trudeau visited the station and nearby Ward Hunt Island and Ward Hall. In 1996, the station opened the Polaris observatory and offices were moved to Polaris Hall. It is located on Ellesmere Island at latitude 82°30’05\” north, 817 kilometres from the North pole. The ship’s captain, George Nares, and his crew were the first recorded Europeans to reached the northern end of Ellsmere Island. In 1909, Robert Peary during his expedition to the north pole in 1909.