Rhodes College is a private liberal arts college in Memphis, Tennessee. Historically affiliated with the Presbyterian Church, it is a member of the Associated Colleges of the South. It is a nationally ranked liberal arts and sciences college with more than 50 majors, interdisciplinary majors, minors and academic programs.
About Rhodes College in brief
Rhodes College is a private liberal arts college in Memphis, Tennessee. Historically affiliated with the Presbyterian Church, it is a member of the Associated Colleges of the South and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Rhodes enrolls approximately 2,000 students, and its Collegiate Gothic campus sits on a 123-acre wooded site in Memphis’ historic midtown neighborhood. The college’s early growth halted during the American Civil War, during which its buildings served as a headquarters for the Union Army throughout the federal occupation of Clarksville. In 1945, the college adopted the name Southwestern at Memphis in order to distinguish itself from other colleges and universities containing the name \”Southwestern. In 1984, the Board of Trustees decided the name “Southwestern” needed to be retired, and the college’s name was changed to Rhodes to honor the man who had served the institution for more than fifty years. In July 2017, Dr. Peyton N. Rhodes began her 20th tenure as the president of Rhodes College. The academic environment at Rhodes College is centered around small classes, mentorship and research, with an emphasis on writing and research. The school has built partnerships with numerous Memphis institutions to provide students with a network of research, service, and internships. It is a nationally ranked liberal arts and sciences college with more than 50 majors, interdisciplinary majors, minors and academic programs. It was founded in the mid-1830s and was named Stewart College in honor of its president and benefactor, William M.
Stewart. In 1879, Stewart College was renamed Southwestern Presbyterian University in 1879. It added an undergraduate School of Theology under the leadership of Dr. Joseph R. Wilson, father of President Woodrow Wilson, which operated until 1917. During the early 20th century the college had still not fully recovered from the Civil War and faced dwindling financial support and inconsistent enrollment. In 1925, President Diehl’s most significant change to the college came in 1925, when he orchestrated the movement of Rhodes’ campus from Clarksville to its present location in Memphis. During Rhodes’ sixteen-year presidency the college admitted its first Black students; added ten new buildings, including Burrow Library, Mallory Gymnasium and the emblematic Halliburton Tower; increased enrollment from 600 to 900; founded a campus chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Society; and grew the endowment to over USD 14 million. The college has grown into the nationally ranked college that it is today. It also offers a wide range of majors and minors, including business, journalism, English, music, nursing, nursing and the liberal arts, and a wide variety of minors and minors. It has an endowment of more than $14 million, including a $1 million endowment for the College of Arts and Sciences, which was established in the early 1960s to help fund research and development of new technologies. The College of the Arts and Science is a non-profit, non-sectarian, private institution.