Kingston is the capital and largest city of Jamaica, located on the southeastern coast of the island. It faces a natural harbour protected by the Palisadoes, a long sand spit which connects the town of Port Royal and the Norman Manley International Airport. In the Americas, Kingston is the largest predominantly English-speaking city south of the United States.
About Kingston, Jamaica in brief
Kingston is the capital and largest city of Jamaica, located on the southeastern coast of the island. It faces a natural harbour protected by the Palisadoes, a long sand spit which connects the town of Port Royal and the Norman Manley International Airport. In the Americas, Kingston is the largest predominantly English-speaking city south of the United States. Two districts make up the central area of Kingston: the historic Downtown, and New Kingston. The city proper is bounded by Six Miles to the west, Stony Hill to the north, Papine to the northeast and Harbour View to the east. The geographical border for the parish of Kingston encompasses the following communities: Tivoli Gardens, Denham Town, Rae Town, Kingston Gardens, National Heroes Park, Bournemouth Gardens, Norman Gardens, Rennock Lodge, Springfield and Port Royal, along with portions of Rollington Town, Franklyn Town and Allman Town. The local government bodies of the parishes of Kingston and St. Andrew were amalgamated by the Kingston and. St. Andrew Corporation Act of 1923. Kingston is only bordered by Saint Andrew to the south, east, west and north. It does not solely refer to Kingston Parish, which only consists of the old downtown and PortRoyal. Kingston Parish had a population of 96,052, in 2001, while St. Andrew Parish had an estimated 555,828 in 2001. In 1788, Kingston had a overall population of 25,000, which was about a tenth of the overall population. One in every four people living in Kingston was white, and there was a large population of free people of color.
The remaining three-fifths of Kingston’s population was made up of black slaves. In 1907, 800 people died in an earthquake in Kingston, which occurred in 1872 when the island was granted independence. It was kept this status when the Island was grantedindependence in 1962, and this status was known in 1962 as “Kingston status” The city was granted this status in 1907, and it was made known in 2012 when it was granted the status of ‘Kingston City’ The government passed an act to transfer the government offices from Spanish Town to Kingston in 1772. The government sold land to people with the regulation that they purchase no more than the amount of land that they owned in Port Royal. By 1716 it had become the largest town and the centre of trade for Jamaica. By the end of the 18th century, the city contained more than 3,000 brick buildings. The harbour fostered trade, and played part in several naval wars in several years of the early 20th century. The first free school, Wolmers’s, was founded in 1729 and there were a theatre, first on Harbour Street and then moved in 1774 to North Parade. The town did not begin to grow until after the further destruction of PortRoyal by fire in 1703. In 1872, Kingston took over the functions of Spanish Town. These functions included agriculture, processing and a main transport hub.