IG Farben Building
The IG Farben Building is the main structure of the West End Campus of the University of Frankfurt. Construction began in 1928 and was complete in 1930 as the corporate headquarters of the IG Far Ben conglomerate. It is also known as ‘The Pentagon of Europe’ because it was informally referred to as the ‘Pentagon’ of Europe during the Cold War. It currently serves as the headquarters of Germany’s national security agency, the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND)
About IG Farben Building in brief
The IG Farben Building is the main structure of the West End Campus of the University of Frankfurt. Construction began in 1928 and was complete in 1930 as the corporate headquarters of the IG Far Ben conglomerate. The building’s original design in the modernist New Objectivity style was the subject of a competition which was eventually won by the architect Hans Poelzig. It was the headquarters for production administration of dyes, pharmaceutical drugs, magnesium, lubricating oil, explosives, and methanol, and for research projects relating to the development of synthetic oil and rubber during World War II. The 1948 Frankfurt Documents, which led to the creation of a West German state allied with the western powers, were signed in the building. During the early Cold War, it was referred to by US authorities as the Headquarters Building, United States Army Europe ; the US Army renamed the building the General Creighton W. Abrams Building in 1975. In 1995, the U.S. Army transferred the building to the German government, and it was purchased by the state of Hesse on behalf of the university. It has since undergone a restoration and was opened as part of theUniversity of Frankfurt in 2001. It is also known as ‘The Pentagon of Europe’ because it was informally referred to as the ‘Pentagon’ of Europe during the Cold War. It currently serves as the headquarters of Germany’s national security agency, the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND) The BND is based in Berlin and is responsible for protecting the country’s borders and borders with the rest of Europe, as well as the security of the European Union (EU) and the United Nations (UN) The building is also home to the BND’s European headquarters, which is located in the heart of the German capital, Berlin.
In the 1920s and 1930s, IG FarBen was the world’s largest drug, chemical and dye conglomerate. It remained a large government contractor under Nazi Party rule, but was largely left intact after the end of the Second World War. During World War Two, the building was the principal location for implementing the Marshall Plan, which supported the post-war reconstruction of Europe. After the war, it served as the HQ for the Supreme Allied Command and from 1949 to 1952 the High Commissioner for Germany. It also served as headquarters for the CIA in Germany until 1995, when it was sold to the state. The Bund’s current location is in the nearby city of Dusseldorf, where it is also the home of the city’s psychiatric hospital, which was built in 1864 on the site of an ancient Christian memorial. In 1864, Dr Heinrich Hoffman hired Alois Alzheimer to work in the hospital, where they both explored progressive methods of treating the mentally ill. In 1930, the Frankfurt director of horticulture Max Bromme and artists Max Kreis developed 14 hectares of parkland around the building at a total cost of 24 million Reichmark.