St. Michael’s Cathedral, Qingdao
St. Michael’s Cathedral is the seat of the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Qingdao. It is the largest example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the province, resembling a German cathedral of the 12th century. Built by German missionaries, the cathedral stands at the top of a hill in the center of the old German-built part of the city.
About St. Michael’s Cathedral, Qingdao in brief
St. Michael’s Cathedral is the seat of the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Qingdao. It is the largest example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the province, resembling a German cathedral of the 12th century. Built by German missionaries, the cathedral stands at the top of a hill in the center of the old German-built part of the city. The cathedral was built by the Divine Word Missionaries, the first German Catholic missionary society. It was defaced and abandoned during the Cultural Revolution. In 1981, it was repaired by the government and reopened for services, and in 1992 it was listed as a Provincial Historic Building by theGovernment of Shandong Province. It has been named after St. Michael, the patron saint of the Catholic Church, who was killed in a battle with the Mongols in the Battle of Zhejiang in 1788. The Cathedral is located in the oldest part of Qing dao, on the east side of Zhongshan Road in Shinan District. The area was once part of Shantung, a district of more than 10million people, which contained 158 Catholics. At the time, the area was part of the Apostolic Vicariate of the Shantung Vicariates, managed by Italian Franciscans, who were tasked with rebuilding the southern half of the province. The Catholic mission order was founded in 1875 by German priests fleeing the Kulturkampf, a pagan religion among pagan nations, and fled to Shantung in 1882.
The mission society’s first mission was established in 1883 in southern Shantung. In the mid-19th century the European powers forcibly opened China to foreign trade. The German Empire had been considering occupying Jiaozhou Bay for building its first naval base in East Asia in order to expand into the interior of Sh andong. In 1942 it came under the control of the Japanese Army, returning to Chinese control when the Japanese left Qingd Chao in 1945. In early 1950s, all foreign missionaries, including the Bishop, were either imprisoned or expelled from China, and the cathedral was repaired and abandoned. It remains in use today as a Catholic church in the southern part of Shandong province, near the city of Tsingtao and the town of Shinan, in the north of the island of Hengchun, in Guangdong. It also serves as a tourist attraction and tourist attraction in the northern part of China, near Hengdao and Hengshan, and on the outskirts of Guangdao, in Hengshen, in Gansu, in Hebei, in Sichuan, in southern China, in Yunnan, and Hainan, China. The church was built in 1934 by the German Missionaries, and remained nominally under their administration until 1964, when it was taken over by the Chinese government. In 1998, the Cathedral was officially opened by the Catholic Bishop of Qing Dao.