Ludwigsburg Palace is a 452-room palace complex of 18 buildings. Its total area, including the gardens, is 32 ha – the largest palatial estate in the country. It has been the residence for four of Wurstemberg’s monarchs and some other members of the House of Wustemberg and their families.
About Ludwigsburg Palace in brief
Ludwigsburg Palace is a 452-room palace complex of 18 buildings. Its total area, including the gardens, is 32 ha – the largest palatial estate in the country. The palace has four wings: the northern wing, the Alter Hauptbau, is the oldest and was used as a ducal residence. The east and west wings were used for court purposes and housing guests and courtiers; the southern wing was built to house more court functions. The constitutions of the Kingdom and Free People’s State of Württemberg were ratified at the palace, in 1819 and 1919 respectively. Surrounding the palace are the Blooming Baroque gardens, arranged in 1954 as they might have appeared in 1800. Nearby is Schloss Favorite, a hunting lodge built in 1717 by Frisoni. Within the palace there are two museums operated by the Landesmuseum Würtemberg dedicated to fashion and porcelain respectively. It was opened to the public in 1918 and survived World War II intact. It underwent periods of restoration in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1990s and again for the palace’s 300th anniversary in 2004. It had more than 350,000 visitors in 2017 and has hosted the Ludwigsberg Festival every year since 1947. It has been the residence for four of Wurstemberg’s monarchs and some other members of the House of Wustemberg and their families and was also the summer residence of King Frederick I, later King Frederick II.
It is a combination of Baroques, Rococo, Neoclassical, and Empire style architecture. The Palace was named after its builder, Eberhard Louis, Duke of Woustemberg, in 1705. Construction was interrupted by the beginning of the War of the Spanish Succession, fought against France and Bavaria. In 1702, the duke participated in the Allied victory at the Battle of Blenheim that was followed by the exile of the Bavarian Elector. The duke used the battle to press claims to Bavarian lands, but he illegally occupied those lands and was further weakened by a French invasion of Woundemberg in 1713. As a result of this attack, the royal family fled to Switzerland and the Treaty of Utrecht, the occupied Bavarian territory and status of the occupied territory were restored. The first floor of the first floor and some of the southern garden of the second floor were completed in 1707. The second floor and first floor were finished in 1708. The third floor was completed in the 1710s and the fourth floor in 1711. The fourth floor and the fifth floor were built in the 18th century. The fifth floor was finished in the 19th century and is known as the Neuer HauptBau. The sixth floor was built in 1815 and the sixth floor in the 1920s and is located in the center of the palace.