History of the Nashville Sounds
Nashville has hosted Minor League Baseball teams since the late 19th century. The Sounds played their home games at Herschel Greer Stadium from its opening in 1978 until the end of the 2014 season. In 2013, the sounds moved to a new stadium on the grounds of Fort Negley, an American Civil War fortification two miles south of downtown Nashville. The stadium will have a capacity of 6,500, at least 400,000 people at a cost of at least USD 10,000.
About History of the Nashville Sounds in brief
Nashville has hosted Minor League Baseball teams since the late 19th century. The Sounds played their home games at Herschel Greer Stadium from its opening in 1978 until the end of the 2014 season. In 2015, the Sounds left Greer for First Tennessee Park, now known as First Horizon Park, a new facility located on the site of the historic Sulphur Dell ballpark, home to Nashville’s minor league teams from 1885 to 1963. The city’s longest-operating baseball team, first known only as the Nashville Baseball Club and later renamed the Nashville Vols, was formed in 1901 as a charter member of the Southern Association. In 1887, Nashville’s Southern League team was called the Nashville Blues. The Nashville Tigers competed in the same league from 1893 to 1894. In 1895, the Nashville Seraphs won the city’s first professional championship in the Southern League. The Nashville Centennials played in the Central League in 1897 but relocated to Henderson, Kentucky, during the season before the league’s collapse. The Vanderbilt Commodores coach Larry Schmittou was instrumental in bringing professional baseball back to Nashville. He was inspired to get involved with Minor League baseball when he observed the large crowds the Chattanooga Lookouts saw after owner Walter Reed acquired the Birmingham Barons and relocated the team to Chattanooga in 1976. He put together a group of investors including other country artists Cal Smith and Jerry Reed, as well as other Nashvillians, to finance a minor league team.
Twenty shares valued at US$15,000 or 10 or 10 percent of the team were issued; Sch Mittou purchased 4,shares for a 20-percent stake. In 1998, the team became members of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League following the dissolution of the American Association. The only time the Sounds have qualified for the postseason since was in 2016 when they won the division championship but were eliminated in the conference series. The team won four division titles, two American Conference titles, and one PCL championship between 2003 and 2007. Their lone PCL title was won in 2005 as the triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. They rarely contended for theAmerican Association championship, making only three appearances in the postseason during their 13 years in the league. They remained in the PCL through the 2011 season, when the team moved to the Pacific Coast Conference. In 2013, the sounds moved to a new stadium on the grounds of Fort Negley, an American Civil War fortification two miles south of downtown Nashville. The stadium will have a capacity of 6,500, at least 400,000 people at a cost of at least USD 10,000, within 10 years of a 20,000-years as long as he built a second, second, and third ballpark. In 2014, the city of Nashville agreed to lease the former softball fields of Fortnegley for $1.5 million, and the Sounds moved into the stadium in 2015 for $2 million. The ballpark will be the home of the Nashville Sounds for at least the next two years.
You want to know more about History of the Nashville Sounds?
This page is based on the article History of the Nashville Sounds published in Wikipedia (as of Dec. 06, 2020) and was automatically summarized using artificial intelligence.