History of Baltimore City College
The Baltimore City College is the third oldest public high school secondary school in the nation. The school was founded in 1839 as a male high school with a focus on the study of English and classical literature. The City College was one of the few schools to be sub-contract out its maintenance and support functions to Alternatives, Inc. who were already operating several other private schools.
About History of Baltimore City College in brief
The Baltimore City College is the third oldest public high school secondary school in the nation. The school was founded in 1839 as a male high school with a focus on the study of English and classical literature. In 1850, the Baltimore City Council granted the school the authority to present its graduates with certificates of completion. As the importance of higher education increased in the early 20th century, the High School’s priorities shifted to preparing students for college. African Americans joined City College for the first time in 1954 and became a significant proportion of the student population by the 1960s. Academic standards and enrollment numbers at the City College after reaching a high of near 4,000 boys by the mid-1960s went through a period of decline first in the late 1960s to mid 1970s. Three high schools were completed and opened all at one time in September 1971, with South, Walbrook and Walbrook nearby to City in Clifton Park on the bed of the old reservoir off Harford Road. The ‘A’ and ‘B’ courses were slowly dying out by 1973, and a single academic track was offered by the late 1980s after a long period of neglect. The City College was one of the few schools to be sub-contract out its maintenance and support functions to Alternatives, Inc. who were already operating several other private schools in the city. In the early 1990s, with an increase in funding from the city system, the school was already running several private schools already operating and running several academically and academically running several other schools.
It is now considered to be one of. the few city schools that were already running and operating several private school systems already operating, and the selection of the high school system to be the choice of the public school system was a major factor in the decision to close it. The city is one of only a few cities in the U.S. to have such a large number of public high schools, and it is the only one in the state of Maryland to have so many. It was founded by the City Council of Baltimore in March 1839, with 46 pupils under the direction of Professor Nathan C. Brooks, a local noted classical educator and poet, who became the first principal of a new type of higher institution in the developing public education system in the City begun in 1829. After the Civil War in 1865, the institution was renamed the ‘Central High School of Baltimore’ in 1865. The following year it was given the name ‘Baltimore City College’ which it still holds to this day. In 1927, only one year before the school moved from its home at Howard and Centre Streets for 53 years to the magnificent stone ‘Castle on the Hill’ on Collegian Hill, the academic program was further changed, when the school divided its curriculum into two tracks: the standard college preparatory program, or ”B’ Course’ and a more rigorous stiff ‘Advanced College Prep’ curriculum, the famed \”‘A’ Course. In 1966, the first black teacher joined the B. C. faculty, Pierre H. Davis, who went on to become the first Afro-American principal.