Baltimore City College
The Baltimore City College is a citywide college preparatory school with a liberal arts focus. It is located on a 38 acres hill-top campus in Northeast Baltimore bordered by 33rd Street, The Alameda, and Loch Raven Boulevard. The four-year City College curriculum includes the IB Middle Years Programme and the IB Diploma Programme. The school’s main building is a National Historic Landmark and has a Baltimore City Landmark designation.
About Baltimore City College in brief
The Baltimore City College is a citywide college preparatory school with a liberal arts focus. It is located on a 38 acres hill-top campus in Northeast Baltimore bordered by 33rd Street, The Alameda, and Loch Raven Boulevard. The four-year City College curriculum includes the IB Middle Years Programme and the IB Diploma Programme of the International Baccalaureate curriculums since the mid 1980s. The school’s main building is a National Historic Landmark and has a Baltimore City Landmark designation. The building edifice and surrounding park-like campus hold scenic views of the distant downtown skyline of skyscrapers and Inner Harbor. The new English Gothic revival building was dedicated on February 1, 1875, after 36 years of use. The Tudor Gothic building housed the newly constructed Mount Royal College, which collapsed in 1892 under construction of the Camden Street & Ohio Railroad tunnel running north from Camden Street to Mount Royal Station. The City College moved in the following week to a new building on North Howard Street opposite West Centre Street and the Council allocated USD 150,000 for the construction of its new building designed by Baltimore architect Edmund G. Lind. In 1865, in accordance with a recommendation from the Board of Commissioners of the Baltimore City Public Schools, the school began offering a five-year track, as part of a process aimed at elevating the school to the status of a college so that it could grant its graduates a Bachelor of Arts degree. The following year, on October 9, 1866, the school was renamed The Baltimore City college by theBaltimore City Council.
The city council failed to take any further action, and although the school changed nominally, it was never granted the power to confer Bachelor of arts degrees. In 1873, when a fire spread from the Holliday Street Theater to the \”Assembly Rooms\”, the City Council dedicated new resources to erect a building especially for the City College. The old Central High School burnt down in 1873 and its magnificent English Gothic Revival structure was replaced by the new City College Central Academy of Music, which was dedicated to the magnificent B.C. C. C., a renowned local Classics literature scholar, who also served as first principal. It was only 17 years after the school’s first use after 17 years that the building was damaged by the collapse of the Mount Royal Train Station. It has been named after B. C C. C, who was the first president of the American College of Music in the early 20th century. It opened its doors on October 20, 1839, with 46 students and one teacherprofessor, Nathan C. Brooks, a renownedlocal Classics literature Scholar. The high school held its first commencement ceremony under the name of the \”Central High School of Baltimore\” with well-known influential civic citizen and lawyer Severn Teackle Wallis , as its first speaker. It moved several times at its beginnings and was housed in three different locations in its first three years before returning again to the original townhouse building.