City Investing Building
The City Investing Building was in the Financial District of Lower Manhattan, with frontage on Church Street, Cortlandt Street, and Broadway. The bulk of the building was 26 stories high above Church Street and was capped by a seven-story central portion with gable roofs. It was razed in 1968 to make room for One Liberty Plaza, which had more than twice the floor area than the two former buildings combined.
About City Investing Building in brief
The City Investing Building was in the Financial District of Lower Manhattan, with frontage on Church Street, Cortlandt Street, and Broadway. The bulk of the building was 26 stories high above Church Street and was capped by a seven-story central portion with gable roofs. The building was designed by Francis Kimball and constructed by the Hedden Construction Company. It was razed in 1968 to make room for One Liberty Plaza, which had more than twice the floor area than the two former buildings combined. It opened in 1908 with about 12 acres of floor area, becoming one of New York City’s largest office buildings at the time. It had an asymmetrical F-shaped footprint with a light court facing CortlandT Street, as well as a wing to Broadway that wrapped around a real estate holdout, the Gilsey Building. The upper stories each contained between 5,200 and 19,500 square feet of space on each floor, and the building had a massive lobby stretching between Broadway and Church Street. It rose 486 feet above Broadway, excluding an attic, but an official brochure counted the building as rising as 33 stories from Church Street but excluding the attic, excluding the building’s raised basement. There was a gap of 10 feet between the City investing Building and the Singer Tower addition to the Singer Building, which was built nearly simultaneously with the building. The gap was a result of a design choice by the Singer’s architect, Ernest Flagg.
The columns required to support the Singer tower would have been too large to place atop the original Singer Building near Liberty Street, at the south end of the same block nearLiberty Street. The Cityinvesting building was sold to Grigori Benenson in 1919 and renamed the Benenson Building. After Benenson was unable to pay the mortgage, it was sold twice in the 1930s. The Building was renamed 165 Broadway by 1938 and was renovated in 1941. It is now located in the SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan, on the corner of Broadway and Cortlandts Street, in the heart of Manhattan’s Financial District. It has a frontage of 209 feet, 109 feet, and 37. 5 feet on Broadway, and a depth of 313 feet on Trinity Place, abutting the Singer building to the south. There is also a long-term lease for the Gilseys Building on the opposite side of the street, which would have eventually been demolished to make way for an addition for the City Invested Building. There are no plans to demolish this section of the Cityinvested Building, but it is expected to be demolished in the next few years. It will be replaced by a luxury apartment complex, which will be named after the former owner, the CityInvesting Company, and will be located on the same site as the City Investment Building. It’s unclear whether the building will be preserved as a museum or a public park, as it was not listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
You want to know more about City Investing Building?
This page is based on the article City Investing Building published in Wikipedia (as of Dec. 06, 2020) and was automatically summarized using artificial intelligence.