Cogan House Covered Bridge
Cogan House Covered Bridge is a Burr arch truss covered bridge over Larrys Creek in Cogan House Township, Lycoming County, in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. It was built in 1877 and is 94 feet 2 inches long. The bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, and had a major restoration in 1998.
About Cogan House Covered Bridge in brief
Cogan House Covered Bridge is a Burr arch truss covered bridge over Larrys Creek in Cogan House Township, Lycoming County, in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. It was built in 1877 and is 94 feet 2 inches long. The bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, and had a major restoration in 1998. It is the oldest and longest of the three covered bridges remaining in the county. It used to carry a steady flow of tannery and sawmill traffic, but the clearcutting of the surrounding forests meant the end of those industries by the early 20th century. Despite the 1998 restoration and other repairs, as of 2009 the bridge structure’s sufficiency rating was 17. 2 percent and its condition was deemed “basically intolerable requiring high priority of corrective action” It is estimated to have once had at least 1,500 covered bridges, and is believed to have had the most in the country between 1875 and 2001. The first covered bridge in the United States was built over the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1800 in 1800. The name comes from the township, as well as the village of CoganHouse, which is northeast of the bridge. The second of these is called Plankenhorn Bridge, a combination of the names of existing and former tenants of the farm adjacent to the bridge, and may come from some of these tenants. The third is called Buckhorn Bridge, which comes from its location at the base of Buckhorn Mountain, and from the road to the former village of Buck Horn, which crossed the creek on it.
The fourth is called Larrys creek, which was named for Larry Burt, who was the first settler at the mouth of the creek when the surveyors came through in 1769. The fifth is called Day’s Bridge, and it is clear that this is another name for the bridge and is a name used by some tenants of that farm as well. The last is called \”Buckhorn Bridge\”, which is based on a name in Benjamin and June Evans’ 1993 book Pennsylvania’s Covered Bridges: A Complete Guide, and used on the official plaque erected by the commissioners to mark its restoration and placement on the NRHP. It’s the only covered bridge ever built in C Logan House Township and the village are named for David Cogan, who settled on Larry’s Creek in 1825. Cogan was one of the few settlers in the area for many years and grew tired of living nearly alone in the wilderness. In 1842 he abandoned his homestead, as did a neighbor named Carter. Their houses were used by hunters and travelers and the name Cogan’s House was given to the area. The bridge is 1. 4 miles south of Pennsylvania Route 184 on Campbell Road, 0. 1 miles past the intersection with C covered Bridge Road. It is described as being north of a bridge in Mifflin Township and being a being onLarrys Creek.