Larrys Creek is a 22.9-mile-long tributary of the West Branch Susquehanna River in Lycoming County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The Great Shamokin Path crossed the creek near its mouth, where Larry Burt, the first Euro-American settler and the man who gave the creek its present name, also lived by 1769. In the 19th century, the creek and its watershed were a center for logging and related industries, including 53 sawmills.
About Larrys Creek in brief
Larrys Creek is a 22. 9-mile-long tributary of the West Branch Susquehanna River in Lycoming County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The creek flows south from the dissected Allegheny Plateau to the Ridge-and-valley Appalachians through sandstone, limestone, and shale from the Devonian, Mississippian, and Pennsylvanian periods. The Great Shamokin Path crossed the creek near its mouth, where Larry Burt, the first Euro-American settler and the man who gave the creek its present name, also lived by 1769. In the 19th century, the creek and its watershed were a center for logging and related industries, including 53 sawmills, grist mills, leather tanneries, coal and iron mines. As of 2006, the Larrys Creek watershed is 83. 1% forest and 15. 7% agricultural. Nearly 9,000 acres of second-growth forest are protected public and private land for hunting and trout fishing, with more land protected in parts of Tiadaghton State Forest. Despite agricultural runoff and small amounts of acid mine drainage, water quality is quite good, and a water filtration plant on Larrys creek supplies over 2500 customers. The source of the creek is just south of Cogan House in Cogan Township in northern Pennsylvania. It flows through Mifflin Township and Anthony Township before it heads southeast into Pennsylvania Game Lands Number 114, where it leaves under the Covered House Bridge.
It is 53 miles from the mouth of Larry’s Creek along the West.anna River to its confluence with the SusqueHanna River at Northumberland, Pennsylvania. There is only a trail or trail beside it for about 3 miles with only a unimproved road beside it. There are no trails or trails beside it, but it runs for about three miles for a short distance before it leaves the Steam Valley at an elevation of 1,740 feet (740 meters) The creek next heads south due south through the village of C Logan House and then under the bridge, due south due to the Pennsylvania State Game Lands number 114, before it enters the Pennsylvania Game Land Number 114 State Game Area. It has an exceptionally scenic, ultra-highwater, whitewater run for canoeing. The first Fork, Canoe Run, Joes Run, and Wolf Run also have roads named for them. The Second Fork, is named for Robert Lawshe, who established a tannery in Salladasburg in 1848. While the USGS uses \”Seeley Run\”, it is still \”Seely Run Road\” that follows the stream. The Third Fork, the First Fork, and the Second Fork are named in the order in which they are encountered traveling upstream, with \”Fork\” here denoting a major tributaries. The Fourth Fork is named after Mr. Seely, who built the first sawmill on the creek at Larryville in 1796.