Chew Stoke is a small village and civil parish in the affluent Chew Valley, in Somerset, England. It is at the northern edge of the Mendip Hills, a region designated by the United Kingdom as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The population of 991 is served by one shop, one working public house, a primary school and a bowling club. Chew Stoke is the site of a Romano-Celtic double-octagonal temple.
About Chew Stoke in brief
Chew Stoke is a small village and civil parish in the affluent Chew Valley, in Somerset, England. It is at the northern edge of the Mendip Hills, a region designated by the United Kingdom as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The population of 991 is served by one shop, one working public house, a primary school and a bowling club. Chew Stoke is the site of a Romano-Celtic double-octagonal temple, possibly dedicated to the god Mercury. It was first built in the late 3rd century but was twice rebuilt, finally collapsing in the 5th century. During the Middle Ages, farming was the most important activity in the area, and farming, both arable and dairy, continues today. In World War II, 42 children and three teachers had been evacuated from Avenmore in London, who were accommodated in the village. On 10 July 1968, a torrential rainfall with 175 millimetres of rainfall fell on the area. The area’s average rainfall for that day was 175 millial rainfall, falling on the average of 18 hours from 18 hours in falling rain. The Bilbie family of bell founders and clockmakers lived and worked from the late 17th century until the 19th century, producing more than 1,350 church bells. Their oldest surviving bell, cast in 1698, is still giving good service in the local St Andrew’s Church. The earliest Bilbie clocks date from 24 and are mostly longcase clocks, the cheapest with 30-hour movements, but some have high quality oak cases, with additional features such as showing the high tide at Bristol.
In the 20th century the village expanded slightly with the influx of residents. These new residents were moved to the Chew Vale Lake area, which was created in the 1950s. The village is near a dam, pumping station, sailing club, and fishing lodge. The parish includes the hamlet of Breach Hill, which is approximately 2 miles southwest of CheW Stoke itself. It forms the ward of Chew Magna, in the unitary authority of Bath and North East Somerset, and is part of the BristolBath green belt. The Domesday Book of 1086 listed the village as Chiwestoche, and was recorded as belonging to Gilbert Fitz-Turold, who conspired with the Duke of Normandy against King William Rufus, and subsequently, all his lands were seized. The next recorded owner was Lord Beauchamp of Hache. There is no evidence for any link between the existence of the temple and the naming of the road, but there is no Evidence exists of lime kilns, used in the production of mortar for the construction of local churches. There were also orchards producing fruits such as apples, pears, and plums. There was also a lime kiln, used to build the churches, which are still in use today. The name Chew Millitus suggests that it may have had some military potential.