California State Route 67
State Route 67 is a state highway in San Diego County, California. It begins at Interstate 8 in El Cajon and continues to Lakeside as the San Vicente Freeway. The route has existed as a railroad corridor since the turn of the 20th century. A freeway south of Lakeside was built in the late 1960s, and opened to traffic in 1970.
About California State Route 67 in brief
State Route 67 is a state highway in San Diego County, California. It begins at Interstate 8 in El Cajon and continues to Lakeside as the San Vicente Freeway. The route has existed as a railroad corridor since the turn of the 20th century. A freeway south of Lakeside was built in the late 1960s, and opened to traffic in 1970. SR 67 is part of the California Freeway and Expressway System, but not the National Highway System. In 2013, the route had an annual average daily traffic of 94,000 between Broadway and Bradley Avenue, and 18,100 between Rio Maria Road and Poway Road. The portion of the highway near Lakeside has become known for a high number of traffic accidents and related fatalities. The California Department of Transportation has made several attempts to remedy the problem and make the road safer. The route is named the CHP Officer Christopher D. Lydon Memorial Freeway from I-8 to Mapleview Street in Lakeside. The road continues near Rosemont, California before turning northeast and becoming Julian Road and then Main Street in downtown Ramona. It ends at the intersection with SR 78;SR 78 intersects to the northwest as Pine Street and continues northeast along Main Street towards Julian. In 1896, the stagecoach line connected the terminus of the railroad line in Foster to Julian, and transported the San Diego to San Diego by five miles.
The Julian road was built by 1913, and was designated as Legislative Route 198 in the state highway system by 1935. Route 198 was renumberedSR 67 in the 1964 state highway renumbering. In 1883, The San Diego Union and Daily Bee described it as a “disgrace to the county… and should be repaired immediately. It could hardly be in a worse condition… and should be repairs immediately. ” On October 21, 1885, the county Board of Supervisors agreed to a realignment of the Julian road, in what was known as the Bernardo District, onto private property. Between 1891 and 1891, the Cuyamaca and Eastern Railroad was extended from San Diego through the town of Cuyacama to the city of San Diego. It was then known as No.3, No.30, and then No. 3, on June 30, 1920; however on the progress on the Julian Road, however on June 30, the road was cut through El Monte Ranch, reducing the distance from El Monte to Julian by 5 miles and removing some steep grades. In 1913, a new routing of Julian Road was completed, cutting the distance by 5.5 miles. In 1924, the Julian and El Monte Road was added to the route, and the route was known by the name Julian Road.