Bridgetown is the capital and largest city of Barbados. As of 2014, its metropolitan population stands at roughly 110,000. The present-day location of the city was established by English settlers in 1628. In 1824, Barbados became the seat of the Anglican Diocese of the Leeward Islands.
About Bridgetown, Barbados in brief
Bridgetown is the capital and largest city of Barbados. As of 2014, its metropolitan population stands at roughly 110,000. The present-day location of the city was established by English settlers in 1628. Bridgetown is a major West Indies tourist destination, and the city acts as an important financial, informatics, convention centre, and cruise ship port of call in the Caribbean region. In 2011, historic buildings in Bridgettown were designated as a protected area by UNESCO. The Grantley Adams International Airport for Barbados, is located 16 kilometres southeast of BridgetOWN city centre. In 1824, Barbados became the seat of the Anglican Diocese of the Leeward Islands. The St Michael’s Parish Church became a cathedral so that the city became a city in 1842. The city was also the head of the Colonial Government of the Windward Islands from 1800 until 1885, when it was moved to St. George’s on the St. Vincent and the Grenadines island. In the short-lived 1950s-1960s Federation of the British West Indian Territories, BridgetTown was one of three capital cities within the region being considered to be the Federal capital of region. It is the only city outside the present U.S. that George Washington visited. It has a street layout resembling early English medieval or market towns, with its narrow serpentine street and alley configuration. The town is located in the parish of Saint Michael, which is located close to the borders of the neighbouring parishes Christ Church and St.
James. It was once known as The Town of Saint. Michael, and later as Bridgetrow, after Sir Tobias Bridge. It also served as the main seat for the Governor of the former British colonies of Windward Island from 1885 until the end of the First World War, when the island became part of the Commonwealth of the United Kingdom. The island was totally abandoned or uninhabited when the British arrived, and one of the few traces of indigenous pre-existence on the island was a primitive bridge constructed over the Careenage area’s swamp at the centre of Brinderown. The Tainos were thought to have been driven from Barbados to the neighbouring island of Saint Lucia, during an invasion by the Kalinagos, another indigenous people of the region. The bridge was thought that this bridge was created by a people indigenous to the Caribbean known as the Taino. In 1631, many acres of land directly facing Carlisle Bay were passed to Henry Hawley, the new Governor; but after reports of his dishonest behaviour he was arrested and forcibly returned to England in 1639. An investigation by a commission in 1640 found that much of Hawley’s land transactions were legitimate and properly showed these lands as being attributed to the Earl of Carlisle. The southern shore on Needham’s Point was claimed by Carlisle’s agents in October 1628, Their grandmother was Mary Washington of Northamptonshire, England.