Antananarivo is the capital and largest city of Madagascar. It sits at 1,280 m above sea level in the center of the island, the highest national capital by elevation among the island countries. It was founded circa 1610, when the Merina King Andrianjaka expelled the Vazimba inhabitants of the village of Analamanga.
About Antananarivo, Madagascar in brief
Antananarivo is the capital and largest city of Madagascar. It sits at 1,280 m above sea level in the center of the island, the highest national capital by elevation among the island countries. The presidency, National Assembly, Senate and Supreme Court are located there, as are 21 diplomatic missions and the headquarters of many national and international businesses and NGOs. It has more universities, nightclubs, art venues, and medical services than any city on the island. Several national and local sports teams, including the championship-winning national rugby team, the Makis are based here. All eighteen Malagasy ethnic groups, as well as residents of Chinese, Indian, European and other origins, are represented in the city. It was founded circa 1610, when the Merina King Andrianjaka expelled the Vazimba inhabitants of the village of Analamanga. The city served as the capital of the Kingdom of Imerina until 1710. It remained the island’s capital after Madagascar was colonized by the French in 1897, and after independence in 1960. Major historic landmarks and attractions include the reconstructed royal palaces and the Andafiavaratra Palace, the tomb of Rainiharo, Tsimbazaza Zoo, Mahamasina Stadium, Lake Anosy, four 19th-century martyr cathedrals, and the Museum of Art and Archaeology.
The English pronunciation of Antananarivo is ˌæntəˌnænəˈriːvoʊ or ˌˌɑːnt�’ːnÃ¼mnÃ©t’s in English and in French. It is also known by its colonial shorthand form Tana, or by its old French name Tananarive. The Malagasi pronunciation is, and the pronunciation of the old Frenchname TananArive is təønÃːv or � tænÃ’nÃ’nÃœrv in English and in French in English and French. It remains the largest city in the country, with a total metropolitan population approaching three million. The capital was established in around 1610 or 25 according to varying accounts according to Merina kings of the time. It became capital of southern quadrant until 1794, when King andrianampoinimerina of Ambohimanga captured the province and restored it as capital of a united Kingdom ofImerina, also bringing neighboring ethnic groups under Merina control. It retained the name Analamanga until the reign of King Andriamasinavalona, who renamed it Antanarivo in honor of AndrianJaka’s soldiers. According to oral history, he deployed a garrison of 1,000 soldiers to successfully capture and guard the hill. The hill and its tombs of Merina royalty expanded over time to enclose the site for his rova, which became the site of his royal palace.