Oregon State Capitol

The Oregon State Capitol is the building housing the state legislature and the offices of the governor, secretary of state, and treasurer of the U.S. state of Oregon. The current building is the third to house the Oregon state government in Salem. The first two capitols in Salem were destroyed by fire, one in 1855 and the other in 1935. New York architects Trowbridge & Livingston conceived the current structure’s Art Deco stripped classical design in association with Francis Keally.

About Oregon State Capitol in brief

Summary Oregon State CapitolThe Oregon State Capitol is the building housing the state legislature and the offices of the governor, secretary of state, and treasurer of the U.S. state of Oregon. Constructed from 1936 to 1938 and expanded in 1977, the current building is the third to house the Oregon state government in Salem. The first two capitols in Salem were destroyed by fire, one in 1855 and the other in 1935. New York architects Trowbridge & Livingston conceived the current structure’s Art Deco stripped classical design in association with Francis Keally. Much of the interior and exterior is made of marble. The building was erected at a cost of USD 2. 5 million for the central portion of the building, which includes a dome of 166 feet. The wings, which doubled the floor space of theBuilding to about 233,750 square feet, were added later for USD 12.5 million. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 29, 1988. It is located in the state capital, Salem, with the state tree and state flower on the grounds. The capitol building was completed by late 1855, but construction was temporarily halted by the territorial capital’s return to Corvallis the next year. The land was sold to the state for this purpose by pioneer and Salem founder W. H. Willson in 1854, shortly after Congress confirmed Salem as the capital city. In 1862, Salem received the state election, and in 1864 the Constitution lists the seat of state government as Marion County, which is in Marion County.

The state government moved to Salem in 1862, and it was declared the state capitol in 1885. The current capitol was completed in 1938. It has a Greek-style Greek Revival, Greek Revival style, and is nearly 50 feet tall. It also features a dome that is 166 feet high, and a marble floor that is 16 feet thick. It opened in 1938 and is located on the corner of Oregon Avenue and Main Street in the heart of the downtown area of Salem, near the Oregon City neighborhood. The Capitol building was built by John L. Morrison in 1850; it served as a capitol until the government move to Salem. In 1850, the legislature passed an act designating Salem the capital. However, Governor John P. Gaines refused to relocate, on the basis that the same act located the university in CorVallis and the penitentiary in Portland; he declared the act unconstitutional. The Territorial Supreme Court concurred; the governor and most of the Supreme Court remained in Oregon City. In 1852 an act of the United States Congress settled the matter in Salem’s favor. On January 13, 1852, the Oregon Territorial Legislature passed a bill moving the. seat of government from Salem to Cor vallis. On a vote in 1856, the two winners were Eugene and Salem. An October runoff gave Eugene the most votes, but the earlier vote-tossing led to a low turnout. The election was ignored.