Hockey Hall of Fame
The Hockey Hall of Fame is a museum and hall of fame located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Founded in 1943, the first class of honoured members was inducted in 1945. It moved to Toronto in 1958 after the NHL withdrew its support for the International HockeyHall of Fame in Kingston, Ontario. The hall was relocated in 1993, and is now in Downtown Toronto, inside Brookfield Place.
About Hockey Hall of Fame in brief
The Hockey Hall of Fame is a museum and hall of fame located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Founded in 1943, the first class of honoured members was inducted in 1945. It moved to Toronto in 1958 after the NHL withdrew its support for the International HockeyHall of Fame in Kingston, Ontario. Its first permanent building opened at Exhibition Place in 1961. The hall was relocated in 1993, and is now in Downtown Toronto, inside Brookfield Place, and a historic Bank of Montreal building. An 18-person committee of players, coaches and others meets annually in June to select new honourees, who are inducted as players, builders or on-ice officials. In 2010, a subcategory was established for female players. As of 2020, 289 players, 112 builders and 16 on- ice officials have been inducted into the hall of Fame. It has been criticized for focusing mainly on players from the National Hockey League and largely ignoring players from other North American and international leagues. The Hall has hosted International Ice Hockey Federation exhibits and the IIHF Hall of fame since 1998. The first curator was Bobby Hewitt, who was the first curator of the Hall of Hockey Fame. The current curator is Mike Downey, who has worked at the Hall since the early 1990s. He was the director of the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association from 1989 to 1994. He has been the curator since 2000, and has been in charge of the Canada Hockey Hall Of Fame since 2006.
He is currently the curator for the NHL Hall of Famer’s 50th anniversary, which is set to be held in 2015. The Canadian Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum is based at the Bank of Montreal in Montreal, Quebec. The Hockey Hall of Fame was established in 1943 under the leadership of James T. Sutherland, a former president of the Canadian Amateur hockey Association. Sutherland believed that the city of Kingston was the birthplace of hockey. The NHL and CAHA reached an agreement that a Hall of Halls of Fame would be established in Kingston. In 1958, the NHL and the Canadian National Exhibition reached an agreement to establish a permanent hall of Fame building in Toronto. The temporary Hockey Hall opened as an exhibit in August 1958, and 350,000 people visited it during the 1958 CNE fair. Due to the success of the exhibit, NHL and CNE decided that a permanent home was needed. Construction began in 1960, and the first permanent Hall was opened on August 26, 1961, by Canadian Prime Minister John Diefenbaker. By 1986, the Hall was running out of room when its existing facilities and facilities and the Board of Directors decided a new home was necessary. In 1992, the Canadian Sports Hall of Hall was vacated and its half of the building was taken over by the former Bank of Montreal at the corner of Yonge and Front Streets in the Yonge Streets. The new Hall of the Fame was officially opened on June 18, 1993.
You want to know more about Hockey Hall of Fame?
This page is based on the article Hockey Hall of Fame published in Wikipedia (as of Dec. 06, 2020) and was automatically summarized using artificial intelligence.