City and South London Railway
The City and South London Railway was the first deep-level underground tube railway in the world. It opened in 1890 and ran for 3. 2 miles between the City of London and Stockwell, passing under the River Thames. The line was extended several times north and south, eventually serving 22 stations over a distance of 13. 5 miles from Camden Town in north London to Morden in south London.
About City and South London Railway in brief
The City and South London Railway was the first deep-level underground tube railway in the world. It opened in 1890 and ran for 3. 2 miles between the City of London and Stockwell, passing under the River Thames. The railway was originally intended for cable-hauled trains, but owing to the bankruptcy of the cable contractor during construction, a system of electric traction using electric locomotives was chosen instead. The diameter of the tunnels restricted the size of the trains, and the small carriages with their high-backed seating were nicknamed padded cells. The line was extended several times north and south, eventually serving 22 stations over a distance of 13. 5 miles from Camden Town in north London to Morden in south London. In 1913, the C&SLR became part of the Underground Group of railways and, in the 1920s, it underwent major reconstruction works before its merger with another of the Group’s railways, the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway. In 1933, the line was taken into public ownership. Today, its tunnels and stations form the Bank Branch of the Northern line from. Camden Town to Kennington and the southern leg of the line from Kennington to. Morden. The Morden-Edgware line is part of London Underground line called the Morden and Edgware Line, which runs from Morden to Clapham Common in the south. The Bank Branch was opened in 1881 and closed in 1883. It is the first of the London Underground lines to be named after a single city or borough.
It was also the first major railway to use electric traction. The first trains were attached to the cable with clamps, which would be opened and closed at stations, allowing the carriages to disconnect and reconnect without needing to interfere with other trains. The Patent Cable Tramway Corporation owned the rights to the first used cable-car system in San Francisco in 1873, and used it to build the San Francisco and San Francisco Tramways in 1874. There were two independent, independent cables between Elephant and Castle and Elephant and. Castle, where the gradient was less than 12mph, and between Stockwell and City and. Stockwell. The tracks were to be in twin tunnels 10 ft 2 in in diameter, running for adistance of 1.25 miles. In 1886, a further bill was submitted to Parliament to extend the tunnels south from Elephant. and Castle, south London, under the. River Thames, allowing the construction of the extension to be added to the work on the original route, which had begun in 1886. The tunnels on this section were of a slightly larger diameter – 10 ft 6 in – and extended the line by a further 1. 75 miles. The bill received royal assent on 28 July 1884. The act was published on 25 July 1890 as the City andSouth London Railway Act, 1890, also effecting a change of the company’s name.