Ceilings of the Natural History Museum, London
The Natural History Museum has a pair of decorated ceilings in the main Central Hall and smaller North Hall. They were designed by the museum’s architect Alfred Waterhouse and painted by the artist Charles James Lea. The ceiling of the Central Hall consists of 162 panels, 108 of which depict plants considered significant to the history of the museum. The remainder are highly stylised decorative botanical paintings.
About Ceilings of the Natural History Museum, London in brief
The ceilings of the Natural History Museum are a pair of decorated ceilings in the main Central Hall and smaller North Hall. They were designed by the museum’s architect Alfred Waterhouse and painted by the artist Charles James Lea. The ceiling of the Central Hall consists of 162 panels, 108 of which depict plants considered significant to the history of the museum, to the British Empire or the museum’s visitors. The remainder are highly stylised decorative botanical paintings. As the ceilings were built cheaply, they are extremely fragile and require regular repair. They underwent significant conservation work in 1924, 1975 and 2016. The restoration in 2016 coincided with the removal of a cast of a Diplodocus skeleton which had previously stood in the central hall, and the installation of the skeleton of a blue whale suspended from the ceiling. The museum’s natural history collections had originally shared a building with their parent institution the British Museum. In 1860 it was agreed that a separate museum of natural history would be created in a large building, capable of displaying the largest specimens, such as whales. The museum opened in South Kensington, London, in 1881 and is now one of the UK’s most popular tourist attractions. It is home to the National Museum of Natural History, which is open to the public on weekdays from 9am to 5pm.
The Museum’S collection of plants, animals and wildlife specimens includes specimens from Jamaica, Barbados, Nieves Sieves, Christophers and Nieves, among others. The collection was brought to England by Hans Sloane, who was one of England’s leading doctors and credited with the invention of chocolate and quinine as a medicine, and in 1727 King George II appointed him Physician to the Ordinary. Building on the Building. During his free time in Jamaica Sloanes indulged his passion for botany, and brought with him a collection of animal and mineral specimens and notes regarding the local wildlife, which eventually became the basis for his major work A Voyage to the Islands. He died in 1688 and was buried in Jamaica, where he was buried alongside his family. The Natural History museum is one of Britain’s few public museums, and there are a few other public museums in England and Wales, including the Royal Museum of Fine Art and the Museum of Science and Art, which are open to visitors on a rotational basis. For more information on the Museum, visit: http://www.nhm.org.uk/cities/central-hall-circles-and-northern-hall/circled-hall.html. For the rest of the exhibition, see: http:/www.natural-history-museum.com/circle-cities.html#c-c-l-lh-c_l-m-l/c-h-l_c-s-l. The main-hall circling-cineres-casing-c ceiling is also known as the Central Hall.