Buenos Aires, officially Autonomous City of Buenos Aires, is the capital and largest city of Argentina. The city is located on the western shore of the estuary of the Río de la Plata, on the South American continent’s southeastern coast. In 2012, it was the most visited city in South America, and the second-most visited city of Latin America.
About Buenos Aires in brief
Buenos Aires, officially Autonomous City of Buenos Aires, is the capital and largest city of Argentina. The city is located on the western shore of the estuary of the Río de la Plata, on the South American continent’s southeastern coast. In 2012, it was the most visited city in South America, and the second-most visited city of Latin America. It is known for its preserved Eclectic European architecture and rich cultural life. Buenos Aires held the 1st Pan American Games in 1951 and was the site of two venues in the 1978 FIFA World Cup. Most recently, Buenos Aires hosted the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics and the 2018 G20 summit. In 1880, after decades of political infighting, Buenos Buenos Aires was federalized and removed from Buenos Aires Province. In 1994, a constitutional amendment granted the city autonomy, hence its formal name of Autonomous City of Buenos Aires. Its citizens first elected a chief of government in 1996; previously, the mayor was directly appointed by the President of the Republic. Several languages are spoken in the city in addition to Spanish, contributing to its culture and the dialect spoken in the city and in some other parts of the country. In the 19th century the city has been a major recipient of millions of immigrants from all over the world, making it a melting pot where several ethnic groups live together and being considered one of the most diverse cities of the Americas.
In 1541, the name was attributed to a devotee of the Virgin of Buen Ayre – after the Madonna of Bonaria – who was said to have given them the good winds to reach the coast of what is today the modern city. In 1882, Eduardo Madero, after conducting extensive research in Spanish archives, concluded that the city’s name was closely linked with the devotion of the sailors to Our Lady of Our Lady. The name was chosen by Mendo de Garay, who sailed down the Paraná River from Ciudad de Asunción. For many years, the city was known as Bonaira as it was free of the foul smell prevalent in the old city, which is adjacent to swampland. In 1335, King Alfonso the Gentle donated the church to the Mercedarians, who built an abbey that stands to this day. During the Cagliari’s siege, the Catalans built a sanctuary to the Virgin Mary on top of the hill. In the years after that, a story circulated, claiming that a statue of theVirgin Mary was retrieved from the sea after it miraculously helped to calm a storm in the Mediterranean Sea. The statue was placed in the abbey. It is recorded under the Aragonese’s archives that Catalan missionaries and Jesuits arriving in Caglyari under the Crown of Aragon, after its capture from the Pisans in 1324 established their headquarters on a hill that overlooked the city. The hill was known to them asBonaira, as it is free of a foul smell.