Bramshill House

Bramshill House, in Bramshill, northeast Hampshire, is one of the largest and most important Jacobean prodigy house mansions in England. It was built in the early 17th century by the 11th Baron Zouche of Harringworth but was partly destroyed by fire a few years later. During the Second World War, the mansion was used as a Red Cross maternity home, before becoming the residence of the exiled King Michael and Queen Anne of Romania. It became the location of the Police Staff College in 1960, and was later home to the European Police College.

About Bramshill House in brief

Summary Bramshill HouseBramshill House, in Bramshill, northeast Hampshire, is one of the largest and most important Jacobean prodigy house mansions in England. It was built in the early 17th century by the 11th Baron Zouche of Harringworth but was partly destroyed by fire a few years later. The design shows the influence of the Italian Renaissance, which became popular in England during the late 16th century. During the Second World War, the mansion was used as a Red Cross maternity home, before becoming the residence of the exiled King Michael and Queen Anne of Romania for a number of years. It became the location of the Police Staff College in 1960, and was later home to the European Police College. Among the 14 ghosts reputed to haunt the house is that of a bride who accidentally locked herself in a chest on her wedding night and was not found until 50 years after. The house is set in 262 acres of grounds containing an 18-acre lake. The grounds, which received a Grade II* listing in 1984, are part of a Registered Historic Park that includes about 25 acres of early17th-century formal gardens near the house. The wider medieval park was landscaped from the 17th to the 20th century and contains woodland. The cricket ground at the house played host to a first-class match in 1823 when an early Hampshire team played an England XI, and it hosted three other matches in 1825–26.

In the early 14th century, Sir John Foxley, Baron of the Exchequer, built and endowed a chapel in the village of BramShill. In 1347 he obtained a licence to build a manor house or small castle, which included a 2,500-acre wooded park and an internal vaulted courtyard measuring 100 by 80 feet. It may have been a copy of William Wykeham’s work at Windsor Castle. The property was sold to William Paulet, 1st Baron Daubeney Giles, in 1547, whose heirs sold it in 1600. The estate remained in the hands of the Foxley family and their heirs, until 1499, when it was passed to the Giles family and sold to Dauby Giles’s son Henry Daubney Giles. It is at the approximate centre of a triangle formed by Reading, Basingstoke and Farnborough, about 47 miles by road southwest of central London. It lies to the northeast of Hartley Wintney, east of Hazeley off the B3349 road, southeast of the village, which lies on the B3011 road. The latitudinal and longitudinal location is 51°19’57. 9″N 0°54’43. 2″W or also, 51. 332759, −0. 911991. Within the grounds is a private lane, Lower Pool Road, which connects Mansion Drive to Reading Drive South, passing the pond and several outer buildings.