Artur Gustav Martin Phleps was an Austro-Hungarian, Romanian and German army officer. He held the rank of SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Waffen-SS during World War II. He was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross, and after he was killed in September 1944, he was also awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight’sCross.
About Artur Phleps in brief
Artur Gustav Martin Phleps was an Austro-Hungarian, Romanian and German army officer. He held the rank of SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Waffen-SS during World War II. He specialised in mountain warfare and logistics, and had been promoted to Oberstleutnant by the end of the war. He was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross, and after he was killed in September 1944, he was also awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight’sCross. He died in the Battle of the Bulge in August 1944. He is buried in the village of Birthälm, near Hermannstadt in Siebenbürgen, then a part of the AustroHungarian Empire. He also became an adviser to King Carol II of Romania, but was dismissed from the army after he spoke out against the government. In 1941 he left Romania and joined the Waffin-SS as an SS-Standartenführers under his mother’s maiden name of Stolz. He later raised and commanded the 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen, raised the 13th SS Mountain Division of the SS Handschar, and commanded V SS Mountain Corps. His final appointment was as plenipotentiary general in south SiebenBürgen and the Banat, during which he organised the evacuation of the Volksdeutsche of Sieben bürgen to the Reich. He remained involved in operations until the Romanian invasion of the Entente in 1916, when he was promoted to Major.
He then became the chief of staff of the 72nd Infantry Division, which was involved in fighting the Italians in the mountains of Villach, Romania. He subsequently became the deputy quartermaster of the 10th Army, responsible for organising the supply of troops in the fighting against the Italians. In 1916 he led the Triple Entente invasion of Romania and subsequently led the invading troops to the Romanian capital, Bucharest. He left the army in 1918, and later became the head of the German Military Academy in Wiener Neustadt. In the 1930s he was a member of the board of trustees of the University of Tübingen, where he taught German language and culture to the local community. In 1939 he became the director of the Institute of German Language and Culture, and in 1940 he was the director-general of the Institut für Deutsches Lebensreichs- und Kriegsrei in Türing, Germany. He retired from the military in 1941. He had served in World War I as an officer in the 32nd Infantry Regiment in Budapest. He went on to join the Second Army in Galicia, which fought against the Russians in the Carpathian Mountains. In 1915 he was transferred to the Armeegruppe Rohr commanded by General der Kavallerie r von Dr von Rohr in the Austrian Alps, which became the basis for the formation of 10th army.