The Green (Dartmouth College)
The Green is a grass-covered field and common space at the center of Dartmouth College. It was among the first parcels of land obtained by the College upon its founding in 1769. The plot is bounded by four streets: Wheelock St. to the south, College St., Wentworth St., and Main St. to the west.
About The Green (Dartmouth College) in brief
The Green is a grass-covered field and common space at the center of Dartmouth College. It was among the first parcels of land obtained by the College upon its founding in 1769. After being cleared of pine trees, it initially served as a pasture and later as an athletic field for College sporting events. Today, it is a central location for rallies, celebrations, and demonstrations, and serves as a general, all-purpose recreation area. The Green is not perfectly rectangular, as its southern border along Wheelock Street runs slightly to the northeast rather than due east-west. It is crossed by seven gravel walking paths, the locations of which varied until about 1931, when the configuration was last altered. The plot is bounded by four streets: Wheelock St. to the south, College Street to the east, Wentworth St., and Main St. to the west. Many of Dartmouth’s important campus buildings are located around the Green. To the north lies Baker Memorial Library, Dartmouth’s principal library, Webster Hall, containing Rauner Special Collections Library, and Sanborn Hall, home to the English department.
On the west side sits the administration building, Parkhurst Hall, the admissions building, McNutt Hall, and two student buildings, Robinson Hall and the Collis Center. To the south sits the Hanover Inn, a College-owned hotel, and the Hopkins Center for the Arts, as well as Rollins Chapel. The main road from Hanover to the north led diagonally across the Green, previously led across the north, due to the new road being diverted around it. In 1824, Dartmouth students resented the residents of the town of Hanover, New Hampshire, for using the Green to keep out cattle belonging to the town. In the early 19th century, Dartmouth herded all the cattle into the basement of Dartmouth Hall as a protest. The fence constructed during the 1836 renovations was in part a response to this action, and meant to keep the animals out.