McMurdo Station is a United States Antarctic research station on the south tip of Ross Island, which is in the New Zealand–claimed Ross Dependency. The volcanic rock of the site is the southernmost bare ground accessible by ship in the world. The station is the largest community in Antarctica, capable of supporting up to 1,258 residents. It is one of three year-round U.S. Antarctic science facilities.
About McMurdo Station in brief
McMurdo Station is a United States Antarctic research station on the south tip of Ross Island, which is in the New Zealand–claimed Ross Dependency. The station is the largest community in Antarctica, capable of supporting up to 1,258 residents, and serves as one of three year-round U.S. Antarctic science facilities. All personnel and cargo going to or coming from Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station first pass through McMurdo. The volcanic rock of the site is the southernmost bare ground accessible by ship in the world. The Antarctic Treaty and related agreements, collectively called the Antarctic Treaty System, opened for signature on December 1, 1959, and officially entered into force on June 23, 1961. As of 2007, the station was Antarctica’s largest community and a functional, modern-day science station, including a harbor, three airfields, a heliport and more than 100 buildings, including the Albert P. Crary Science and Engineering Center. It is also home to the continent’s two ATMs, both provided by Wells Fargo Bank. An annual sealift delivers 8 million gallons of fuel and 11 million pounds of equipment and equipment for residents and ships, operated by the U.
S. Antarctic Program, and over the course of the year over the Scott Base. The work done at the station primarily focuses on science, but most of the residents are not scientists, but personnel who provide operations, information technology, construction, construction and maintenance. Scientists and other participants in the station are co-ordinates and operational support for USAP, which provides co-ordinate and logistical support for the region in the region. The base was officially opened by the United States on February 16, 1956 as part of Operation Deep Freeze. The first scientific diving protocols were established before 1960 and the first diving operations were documented in November 1961. On March 3, 1962, the US Navy activated the PM-3A nuclear power plant. The reactor generated 1.8 MW of electrical power and reportedly replaced the need for 1,500 US gallons of oil daily. As a result of continuing safety issues, the US Army Nuclear Power Program decommissioned the plant in 1972.
You want to know more about McMurdo Station?
This page is based on the article McMurdo Station published in Wikipedia (as of Jan. 02, 2021) and was automatically summarized using artificial intelligence.