Green Park tube station
Green Park is a London Underground station located on the edge of Green Park. It is served by the Jubilee, Piccadilly and Victoria lines. The station was opened in 1906 and was originally named Dover Street. It has one of the longest platforms on the Underground, with the other being on the PicCadilly line.
About Green Park tube station in brief
Green Park is a London Underground station located on the edge of Green Park. It is served by the Jubilee, Piccadilly and Victoria lines. The station was opened in 1906 and was originally named Dover Street due to its location in that street. It was modernised in the 1930s when lifts were replaced with escalators and extended in the 1960s and 1970s when the Victoria and Jubilee lines were constructed. The platforms are 27 metres below the level of PiccADilly and are in fare zone 1. Green Park is near The Ritz Hotel, the Royal Academy of Arts, St James’s Palace, Berkeley Square, Bond Street, the Burlington Arcade and Fortnum & Mason, and is one of two serving Buckingham Palace. It has one of the longest platforms on the Underground, with the other being on the PicCadilly line. It opened on 15 December 1906 as Dover Street and was named after the street it is located on. The current station building, designed by Leslie Green, is on the east side of Dover Street on the north side of the station. It features a standard glazed terracotta facade with arches at first-floor level and semi-circular semi-Circular passageway at first floor level. When it opened in 1918, the station was provided with four electric lifts and a spiral stair shaft in a 23-foot diameter shafts and a smaller spiral stair in a smaller diameter shaft in the west. It now has four lifts, two pairs of which are paired in two pairs in two separate shafts in the east and west of the platform, and a pair in the centre of the first floor.
It also has an escalator to the west and a lift to the east, which was the first of its kind in the Underground. The entrance to the station is at the north end of the PiccAdilly line, on the corner of Oxford Circus and Hyde Park Corner. The entrances to the south and the west are on the opposite side of Picadilly Street. The north and south platforms are on opposite sides of the street and are connected by escalators to the north and the south of the south side of Oxford Street. A number of competing schemes for underground railways through central London were proposed in the late 19th century and early 20th century. The first two proposals came before parliament in 1897 and were rejected. The Central London Railway submitted a bill that aimed to turn its line running between Shepherd’s Bush and Bank into a loop by constructing a second roughly parallel line. In 1902, the Charing Cross, Hammersmith and District Railway proposed a line between Charing. Cross and Barnes with a parallel shuttle line. The scheme was never fully considered and although it was re-presented in 1903, it was dropped two years later. In 1905, some of the promoters of the PC&NELR regrouped and submitted a proposal for the Hammermith, City and North East London Railway. Although favoured in parliament and likely to be approved, this scheme failed.