Altrincham is a market town in Greater Manchester, England, south of the River Mersey. It was established as a market city in 1290, a time when the economy of most communities was based on agriculture rather than trade. The Bridgewater Canal extension in 1765 and the arrival of the railway in 1849 stimulated industrial activity in the town.
About Altrincham in brief
Altrincham is a market town in Greater Manchester, England, south of the River Mersey. It is 8 miles southwest of Manchester city centre, 3 miles southwest of Sale and 10 miles east of Warrington. At the 2011 Census, it had a population of 52,419. It was established as a market city in 1290, a time when the economy of most communities was based on agriculture rather than trade. The Bridgewater Canal extension in 1765 and the arrival of the railway in 1849 stimulated industrial activity in the town. The town has a strong middle-class presence; there has been a steady increase in AlTrincham’s middle classes since the 19th century. It has three ice hockey clubs: Manchester Storm, Altrinchesam Aces and Trafford Tornados. The name first appears as ‘Aldringeham’, probably meaning ‘homestead of Aldhere’s people’ It was also known as Altringham or ‘Altrinchesham’ until the early 20th century, when it was spelt as ‘Al Trincham’ and ‘Altringham’ The town is home to a football club and an ice hockey club, Manchester Storm. It also has a cricket club, the Altrinchams, and a football team, the Aces, which play in the Premier League. Altrincam Fair became St James’s Fair or Samjam in 1319 and continued until 1895. During the English Civil War, men from the town fought for the Parliamentarian armies on nearby Bowdon Downs. The remains of a Roman road, part of one of the major Roman roads in North West England connecting the legionary fortresses of Chester and York, run through the Broadheath area.
In 1754, a stretch of road along the Manchester Turnpiked route was turnpiked along the route to Chester, which taxed passengers for the maintenance of the road. By 1767, Timperley had been built alongside the canal, alongside warehouses for its vegetables. The connection of the canal and the railway stimulated the development of market gardening, for many years for its many years. By 1348 the town had 120 burgage plots – ownership of land used as a measure of status and importance in an area – putting it on a par with the Cheshire town of Macclesfield and above Stockport and Knutsford. The earliest known residence in Al Trincam was the Knoll, on Stamford Street near the centre of the medieval town. A 1983 excavation on the demolished building, made by South Trafford Archaeological Group, discovered evidence that the house dated from the 13th or 14th century and that it may have contained a drying kiln or malting floor. The ruins of Dunham Massey Hall, formerly the home of the Earl of Stamford, and now a tourist attraction with three Grade I Listed Buildings and a deer park, are on the grounds of the Hall. In 1348, the town was owned by the Saxon thegn Alweard; after the invasion they became the property of Hamon de Massey.