Marietta is located in central Cobb County, Georgia, United States, and is the county’s seat and largest city. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 56,579. The 2019 estimate is 60,867, making it one of Atlanta’s largest suburbs. It is believed that the city was named for Mary Cobb, the wife of U.S. Senator and Superior Court judge Thomas Willis Cobb.
About Marietta, Georgia in brief
Marietta is located in central Cobb County, Georgia, United States, and is the county’s seat and largest city. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 56,579. The 2019 estimate is 60,867, making it one of Atlanta’s largest suburbs. It is believed that the city was named for Mary Cobb, the wife of U.S. Senator and Superior Court judge Thomas Willis Cobb. Judge Cobb is the namesake of the county. Marietta was initially selected as the hub for the new Western and Atlantic Railroad, and business boomed. During the 1850s, fire destroyed much of the city on three separate occasions. General William Tecumseh Sherman invaded the town during the Atlanta Campaign in the summer of 1864. In 1892, a public school system was established for white students and a high school for black students. Leo Frank, a Jewish-American superintendent of the National Pencil Company in Atlanta, was convicted of the murder of one of his factory workers, Mary Phagan, on August 25, 1913. The trial, sensationalized in the local press, portrayed Frank as sexually depraved and captured the public’s attention. An eleventh-hour commutation by Governor John Slaton of Georgia was granted to Frank on August 17, 1915, and he was hanged the next day. The city was established in 1833, and the Georgia General Assembly legally recognized the community on December 19, 1834. The Georgia Military Institute was built in 1851.
The first bank opened in 1855. The town was incorporated in 1852, and a popular figure, Mayor John Glover, was elected mayor when the city incorporated in1852. The original barn, milk house, smokehouse, and well house remain on the property. The spectacular gardens contain the boxwood parterre from the 1870s. Oakton served as Major General Loring’s headquarters during the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in 1864, and it is located near the mouth of Sope Creek, where over 3,000 Confederate soldiers were killed during Battle of the Chattahoochee River in 1892. In the 1864 battle, General Hugh Kilpatrick set the town ablaze, the first strike in Sherman’s March to the Sea, after burning a shallow section known as the Palisades River. It was also the site of the famous Battle of Roswell Road, where General Kilpatrick’s troops killed over 1,000 Union soldiers in the battle of the Georgia Civil War. The Marietna Creek Cemetery, located in the town’s center, is the only one of its kind in the United States. It contains the graves of more than 1,500 Confederate soldiers killed during the battle. The state of Georgia is named after the town, which was founded in 1824, and was named after a Cherokee town of Big Shanty. The county’s first physician, Carey Cox, promoted a water cure that attracted tourists to the area.