Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University is a public land-grant research university in College Station, Texas. It was founded in 1876 as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. The university offers degrees in more than 150 courses of study through ten colleges and houses 18 research institutes. The main campus is one of the largest in the United States, spanning 5,200 acres, and is home to the George Bush Presidential Library.
About Texas A&M University in brief
Texas A&M University is a public land-grant research university in College Station, Texas. It was founded in 1876 as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. The university offers degrees in more than 150 courses of study through ten colleges and houses 18 research institutes. The main campus is one of the largest in the United States, spanning 5,200 acres, and is home to the George Bush Presidential Library. The school’s students, alumni, and sports teams are known as Aggies. As of 2020, Texas A &M’s student body is the second largest in U.S. history. As a Senior Military College, the school has a full-time, volunteer Corps of Cadets who study alongside civilian undergraduate students. It is the only university in Texas to hold all three designations: land, sea, and space grant institution, land, air, and sea grant university, and land grant research university. It has a direct presence in each of the 254 counties in Texas, and has more than 1,000 officially recognized student organizations. The Aggies compete in 18 varsity sports as a member of the Southeastern Conference, and are the only school in the country to have a national championship football team. The University of Texas, Austin, was originally envisioned and annotated in the Texas Constitution as a branch of the University of the State of Texas and was never enveloped into the University System of Texas System. It opened in Austin, Texas, in 1871 and was the first public institution of higher education in the state.
The letters \”A&M,\” originally A. M. C. are retained as a link to the university’s tradition. It became the flagship institution of the Texas A&m University System in 1948. The U. S. Congress laid the groundwork for the establishment of A.M.C. in 1862 with the adoption of the Morrill Act. In 1871, the Texas Legislature used these funds to establish the state’s first public Institution of Higher Education, then known as Texas A and M C. In 1963, the state legislature renamed the school to Texas AandM University in 1963, and it became coeducational in 1968. The name Texas A/M University was adopted by the state Legislature on October 4, 1876, to reflect the institution’s expanded roles and academic offerings. The first class of students enrolled on October 2, 18 1976, with six faculty members and six students. By the end of the spring semester, enrollment increased to 48 students, and by the spring of the 1877 semester, 106 students had enrolled. In the first year of classes, all students were required to participate in the Corps of cadets and receive training training. Enrollment climbed to 258 students before declining to 108 students in 1883, the year the school became co-educational. After four years, students could attain degrees in scientific agriculture, civil and mechanical engineering, and language and literature. In 2001, the university was inducted as aMember of the Association of American Universities.