Chișinău, also known as Kishinev, is the capital and largest city of the Republic of Moldova. The city is Moldova’s main industrial and commercial center, and is located on the river Bâc, a tributary of the Dniester. In 1812, in the aftermath of the Russo-Turkish War, the eastern half of Moldavia was ceded to the Russian Empire.
About Chișinău, Moldova in brief
Chișinău, also known as Kishinev, is the capital and largest city of the Republic of Moldova. The city is Moldova’s main industrial and commercial center, and is located on the river Bâc, a tributary of the Dniester. The origin of the city’s name is unclear. A theory suggests that the name may come from the archaic Romanian word chișla and nouă, because it was built around a small spring. In 1812, in the aftermath of the Russo-Turkish War, the eastern half of Moldavia was ceded to the Russian Empire. The town played an important part in the war between Russia and Ottoman Empire, as the main staging area for the invasion of the Belle Époque. In the late 19th century, especially due to growing anti-Semitic sentiment, the mayor of Chisinau, Carol Schmidt, was considered one of the best mayors in the country. In 1900, the population had grown to 92,000 by 1862, and 125,787 by 1900. The population of the Municipality of Chi�’in was 700,000, and the city proper had a population of 532,513, according to the results of the 2014 census. Nearly a third of the country’s population lives in the metro area, and nearly a fifth of the nation’s population live in the city.
It is written Kişinöv in the Latin Gagauz alphabet. It was also written as Chișineu in pre-20th-century Romanian and as Кищинэу in the Moldovan Cyrillic alphabet. The name is also historically referred to as German: Kischinau, Polish: Kiszyniów, Ukrainian: Kyshyniv, or Yiddish: Keshenev. In Russian, the city is known in Russian as Кящянёв, while Moldova’s Russian-language media call it “Kishine’v”. In English, the English language name is based on the modified Russian one because it entered the Englishlanguage via Russian at the time Chi�’in u was part of the Russian Empire. In 1840 the building of the Triumphal arch, planned by the architect Luca Zaushkevich, was completed. On 28 August 1871, ChiȘin ęterea Domnului was linked by rail with Tiraspol with the construction of numerous buildings and landmarks. On 1 June 1875, Chi’i-Ungheni-Ii was opened in preparation for the 1875 Russo-Turkish War. The railway station was opened on 1 June 75, and in 1873 Chi ’Ii-“Ia și’heni” was opened.